The audio-guided tour of the Tithe Barn is an unique experience, to understand the history of Provins!
The Tithe Barn of Provins houses different scenes and characters bring to life the main crafts and the merchant activities in the Middle Ages.
Thanks to the audio-guided visit, open to everyone, playful but very complete, you will get all the answers on the Fairs of Champagne which took place in Provins.
You will meet the Italian merchant, the Provins woollen cloth merchant, the money-changer, the Flemish merchant, the letter-writer, the wool techniques in Provins, the potter, the quarryman, the stone cutter and the parchment maker…
This stone house is typical of the architecture of Provins in the 12th and 13th centuries!
From bottom to top, the lower room was used as a warehouse, the first floor as a shop, and the top floor as a dwelling.
Merchants from Toulouse are known to have rented it in 1223.
Once you have passed through the large door, you can admire inside the low room with the vaulted cellar with a cross-ribbed vaulting and capitals adorned with foliage.
In the 17th century, it was used as warehouse for the tithe – tax on the harvests – where from its current name.
Schedules & Prices
• From 2 January to 27 March 2020: weekends, public holidays, and daily during French school holidays (zones B & C) from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• From 28 March to 30 August: daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• From 31 August to 1 November: weekends and public holidays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. – in week from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
• From 2 November to 31 December: weekends, public holidays, and daily during French school holidays (zones B & C) from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• 12 and 13 December: Christmas in Provins: from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Closure: 1 January and 25 December.
• Included in the Pass Provins ou Pass Famille.
• Ticket for the monument only: adult 4,30 € – child (4-12 years old) 2,80 € – free for under 4 years old.
• CB payment no accepted.
Length: about 35 min.
Last admission 15 min. before the closure of the monument.
Access: 3 rue Saint-Jean.
Buy your tickets online
The visit of the Tithe Barn is included in the Pass Provins and the Pass Family.
But you can buy the ticket for the monument only:
0033 1 64 60 26 26