The audio-guided tour of the Tithe Barn is an unique experience, to understand the history of Provins!
The Tithe Barn of Provins houses different scenes and characters bring to life the main crafts and the merchant activities in the Middle Ages.
Thanks to the audio-guided visit, open to everyone, playful but very complete, you will get all the answers on the Fairs of Champagne which took place in Provins.
You will meet the Italian merchant, the Provins woollen cloth merchant, the money-changer, the Flemish merchant, the letter-writer, the wool techniques in Provins, the potter, the quarryman, the stone cutter and the parchment maker…
This stone house is typical of the architecture of Provins in the 12th and 13th centuries!
From bottom to top, the lower room was used as a warehouse, the first floor as a shop, and the top floor as a dwelling.
Merchants from Toulouse are known to have rented it in 1223.
Once you have passed through the large door, you can admire inside the low room with the vaulted cellar with a cross-ribbed vaulting and capitals adorned with foliage.
In the 17th century, it was used as warehouse for the tithe – tax on the harvests – where from its current name.
Schedules, Welcome conditions & Prices
Information subject to the evolution of the sanitary context.
• From 19 May to 29 August 2021: daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• From 30 August to 7 November: weekends and public holidays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. – in week from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
• From 8 November to 31 December: weekends, public holidays, and daily during French school holidays (zones B & C) from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• 11 & 12 December: Christmas in Proivns: from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Closure: 1 January and 25 December.
For your safety, welcome conditions are specially set up:
• Limited number of people at the same time in the monument.
• Direction of the visit respecting social distancing.
• Hydroalcoholic gel dispenser at the entry of the monument.
• Wearing of the mask is obligatory in the monument (and obligatory throughout the whole medieval town).
• Included in the Pass Provins or Family Pass.
• Ticket for the monument only: adult 4,30 € – child (4-12 years old) 2,80 € – free for under 4 years old.
• CB payment accepted.
Length: about 35 min.
Last admission 15 min. before the closure of the monument.
Audio-guided visit: in exhange for identity papers.
Access: 3 rue Saint-Jean.
Please note that our friends the animals are not allowed in the monuments, nor on the sites of the shows, nor in the major events.
Buy your tickets onsite or online
The visit of the Tithe Barn is included in the Pass Provins and the Family Pass.
But you can buy the ticket for the monument only, onsite at the entrance or online.
Once the date has been chosen, the 10.00 a.m. or 2.00 p.m. times (according to the season) that appear simply correspond to the opening time of the monument.
Your ticket is valid for the whole day, in respect of the sanitary conditions in force (see welcome conditions).
0033 1 64 60 26 26