The Underground Galleries are certainly the most mysterious places in Provins!
As far as we know, very few documents are available which could throw light on the existence and precise use of the Underground Galleries.
Many questions still remain unanswered. Nevertheless, various assumptions have been made thanks to historical cross-checks and observations.
Originally these galleries were probably used as a quarry to extract a specific type of fuller’s earth for degreasing woollen cloth.
We know that the cloth industry flourished in Medieval Provins, and the needs of the local fullers must therefore have been considerable.
Once the cavities had been dug out, the town’s inhabitants put them to a variety of uses. They became hiding places, storerooms during the Champagne Fairs or places of worship. And some of the graffiti inscriptions suggest that they were used by the town’s freemasons
The undergrounds go very far and you will only visit a small part of them… so to avoid getting lost, follow the guide for a fascinating tour!
Departures in groups of 25 people maximum, for safety and preservation of the site.
The temperature being constant at 13°, bring a piece of clothing to cover your shoulders, especially in summer!
Schedules & Prices
Due to the Covid-19 crisis and for your safety, this monument is currently not open to the public.
English guided tour departures:
• From 27 March to 4 July: weekends, public holidays and extra days at 2.30 p.m.
• From 5 July to 29 August: weekends, public holidays and extra days at 2.30 p.m. – week at 2 p.m.
• From 30 August to 1 November: weekends, public holidays and extra days at 2.30 p.m. – week at 4.30 p.m. – week during French school holidays at 4.15 p.m. Prices:
• Included in the Pass Provins or Family Pass.
• Ticket for the monument only: adult 4,50 € – chid (4-12 years old) 3 € – free for under 4 years old.
• CB payment no accepted. Length: about 45 min.
Last admission 15 min. before the closure of the monument.
Guided visit. Special conditions:
Reservation is highly recommended, specifying the day and time wanted:
– after purchase of your ticket on 33 (0) 1 64 60 26 26,
– at your arrival at the Tourist Office or in the monuments (except Museum of Provins). Access: 3 rue Saint-Thibault. Please note that our friends the animals are not allowed in the monuments, nor on the sites of the shows, nor in the major events.
Buy your tickets online
The guided tour of the Underground Galleries of Provins is included in the Pass Provins or Family Pass.
But you can buy the ticket for the monument only:
0033 1 64 60 26 26